Monday, March 9, 2009

I am really going to be a teacher.

My last week of training at my teaching site is now completed, and tomorrow I start teaching my first class. I have 3 basic classes and 2 intermediate classes in total. They are all evening courses, which will be interesting, but I hope that they all turn out well. I have been preparing for my classes, but I don’t think I will ever be prepared enough for my first class. Wish me luck.

This past week I had training on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I met all the other English professors and they are very nice and welcoming and so is our director. My classes will be in the smaller of the two buildings, of course, the new building that is not air conditioned or heated but no worries. The others TIPS (Teacher Internship Practicum Specialist, a really long name for a whole bunch of gringos) are very nice too.

Over the past week, I have been able to have a lot of “me” time which is nice to have before classes begin. I have hung out with some of the other WorldTeach volunteers but for the most part, I have been on my own. I am not always sure what to do with myself since I don’t have the internet or a car,( oh the American way), but I am slowly but surely adjusting to this new way of life and so are my feet from walking so much.

I have been doing a lot of exploring around my neighborhood. I have figured out how to take the bus to and from class and how to take it to and from the nearest metro stop. Also, I took my first colectivo this past week. Colectivos are like taxis but they have a consistent route and pick up people along the way. You pretty much sit in a taxi with four other strangers including the driver until you arrive at your destination or nearest stop. The colectivos are only a few cents more than using the bus and a lot cheaper than taxis.

Last Thursday, Holly and I met up to go to the pool called Piscina Antilen on the top of the Parque Metropolitano. It is a public recreational park that costs $10 USD to get in but it is well worth it. The pool area is like a resort and since it is on the very top of the hill/mountain you can see the whole city through the smog, of course. It was beautiful. We brought a lunch with us and stayed there most of the day. I applied SPF 30 sunscreen twice and sat in the shade the whole time when I was not in the pool and I still got a little burned. The sun is so strong here but it makes sense. Chile lies just below the whole in the atmosphere.

On Friday, my friend Rad came to visit from her teaching site on the outskirts of Santiago. We just hung out all afternoon and then went out to dinner, where we ordered way too much food. After that we went to one of the other volunteer’s host family’s house. It was so good to see some of the other WorldTeach volunteers. It had only been a week since I had seen most of them but it felt like a lot longer than that.

Saturday, I slept in and then met up with Holly in the Centro or downtown Santiago. We passed by Thomas’ (one of our directors) apartment to borrow some books. On Sunday, I had the house to myself which I was not expecting so I took a few pictures when no one was around.

Tomorrow I will become an official teacher. It will be an interesting day. Like I said, wish me luck. I guess I will do as the old phrase says, “fake it until you make.”

PS I will try to post pictures soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sooo cool! We are so proud of you! Good luck on your first day of school. You are going to be a great teacher. Just be yourself and don't sweat the small stuff. They are going to love you! BTW, this is what we call "pillow fluffing" :) A girl can always use a good pillow fluffing! Love you. Patti, Randy, Dane and Maddi

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get together with your friends and do some 'settling' before starting your teaching. It sounds like you're having a good time now.

Hope the first week of 'real' teaching is going well. I'm sure your students will love you dearly.