Uff… I had no idea it took so much work to keep the attention of 20 little six year olds, but I also had no idea how much I would love it! I get random hugs during the day. When I walk into the cafeteria, bunches of little ones come up and say “hello,” and when I walk across the campus or through town, I feel like a movie star. I love to see them smile and laugh during class. One thing that has saved is my openness especially to singing and dancing and playing with a rubber chicken named, Mr. Chicken.
Outside of class, things are going well also. This past weekend the Baru group and I went to Cartagena to celebrate my birthday. The director, Courtney, made a big chicken and curry rice dinner and then we went out dancing. It was a very good weekend.
On a day to day basis, things never really go as planned. The only thing left to do really is laugh, a lot. Just last week I found a scorpion in my bedroom next to the wall. It was about the size of two bottle caps. My friend, Monica, had to walk me through stepping on it. It was the second scorpion found in the dormitories since we arrived. Also, yesterday I broke the PVC pipe of a facet in one of the washrooms. It just snapped off and started shooting out water everywhere. Luckily, there was a drain and the friendly security guard came over to shut the water off and make a makeshift plug with the end of a broom and plastic. All, I really could do was laugh. Currently, the internet is not working so some the other volunteers are starting to good mad. I probably have a few days left before it starts getting to me. So if I haven’t responded to an email or message, please be patient. The nearest internet connection is about an hour to an hour and a half away by means of mototaxi, ferry, and bus. We are not exactly in a metropolis here.
No comments:
Post a Comment