Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Encounter 8: ¡está temblando!

¡Está temblando! aka it's an earthquake! (not something you want to wake up to like I did this morning after eating breakfast.)

There have been a number of earthquakes since I have been in Chile. They are mostly small tremors, but they do not make you feel the safest when you are on the top floor of a building trying to teach a classroom of students. Chile is known for earthquakes, especially since Santiago sits between two large mountain ranges, the coastal mountains and the Andes.

This morning it felt like someone picked up the house and moved it southeast a bit. Although, it sounded like someone was doing construction on the house, but it was over in an instant. Then my host mom came to my door and said to me ¡Está temblando! (like I said, not something you want to hear.)

Then she started pacing the house to see if another tremor would hit but it didn't and we went back to our daily routine in the morning. Everyone was safe and the house was still standing, although I have my doubts about it at times from the buckets in the kitchen to catch the rain water to every fixture in the bathroom leaking. It just reminds me that you never know what is going to happen next in life.

No comments: