Thursday, January 25, 2007

Alhambra

This weekend was so much fun. After class on Friday a group of us went out to a discoteca in the caves of Sacromonte and danced until the wee hours of the morning. The next day our program went to the Alhambra (which is one of the undeclared 7 wonders of the world). The Moors began building the Alhambra in the 800’s and continued on until the 1300’s. After that the Catholics conquered the Alhambra and continued construction of their own palace within the structure until the 18th century. So pretty much this place has a lot of history, amazing architecture, art, gardens, and views of the landscape. It was definitely a long walk but well worth it. After the tour we ate some delicious hot croissants and then headed home for a long siesta. Saturday night a group of us hit the town again. Sunday was a day of relaxation, sleep, and homework. My host mom asked Courtney and I if we wanted to go on a walk with her to another pueblo close by and out to lunch. We said yes and were excited that she wanted to do something with us. Sunday afternoon Courtney, Laura, Zach and I went out for churros and chocolate.

Mini story time. On Saturday afternoon while sitting in a plaza before getting churros, we were talking and then a police take-down happened right behind us. They were undercover cops who were arresting men on the street that illegally sell CDs, gloves, umbrellas, etc. The men lay their goods out on street on a sheet and then when they think cops are around they grab strings that wrap all their goods in the sheet, turning it into a bag. It was hard to watch because I know that they were selling the items illegally but they were just trying to make a living. Most of the men came to Spain from Africa. It was not what I had expected to see while hanging out in a plaza with friends.

Monday and Tuesday have been days of class and more studying since I have my final this Friday for my Intensivo course. We did some more singing in class. It was hilarious.

Today my friends and I found the best bakery. They make a pizza bread like concoction that is delicious and it only costs 1 euro. We walk past the bakery everyday and had wondered why there was always so many people standing outside. Well, we found out the reason. I also explored a Supersol today. It is the closest thing to a grocery store. I was amazed at the selection when I went in because most of the stores are much smaller and specialize in a certain area of goods here. It was probably half the size of a Walgreen’s and I thought it was big.

In 8 days I leave for Roma!!!

Hasta luego,
Tara

(Also I received a package today for my birthday. It took a little over 2 weeks to get to me. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa. And pictures of the Alhambra will be coming soon.)

2 comments:

nacho said...

la alhambra! *gush* how wonderfully beautiful it must have been! how gorgeous all of spain must be. not to mention the fact that you're visiting rome in a matter of days. go you!

that's quite the story, by the way! sounds like you're not too far removed from parkland... ok, bad joke.

escribire una carta pronto!

everett

Anonymous said...

Beautful, beautiful pictures of the Cathedral, the snow, the city -- and you! *grins*

Happy, happy 21st birthday on Monday! *Hugs*

NJD